Functional Medicine Doctor of Pharmacy
Dr. Morcom is a practitioner of Functional Medicine fusing his background in modern pharmacology & the newest research in herbs, nutrition, mindfulness & lifestyle medicine. With an integrative & holistic approach, he aims to understand each patient as a whole and their condition at its root. Dr. Morcom has a wide range of specialties allowing him to understand the body at both the biochemical level but also understands the interconnections of the various systems to intelligently guide patients from chronic disease back into optimal health & balance. Dr. David has a strong passion for Brain Health & Mood Imbalances, specializes in dealing with difficult cases of bacterial/fungal overgrowth & is an expert in the field of Nutrigenomics and Genetic Analysis. By using a unique blend of advanced diagnostics and intuition, Dr. Morcom is able to unravel the cascade of variables that have lead to disease, design an individualized treatment plan to get them better & empowers his patients through diet/lifestyle education to be able to maintain their own health going forward.
“My philosophy is based on the belief that the human body is a remarkable system that is innately self-healing – and with the proper use of whole foods, herbs, nutrition and lifestyle changes, one can strengthen and support the body to achieve optimal health.”
Areas of Expertise & Interest:
- SIBO/Candida/Leaky Gut/Digestive Dysfunction
- Autoimmunity/Food Allergies/Hashimoto’s
- Brain Health, Mood, Addiction & Sleep
- Adrenal Fatigue & Thyroid Dysfunction
- Genetic Testing, MTHFR & beyond
- Hormone Balancing
- Supplement Regimen Customization
- Detoxification & Mold Illness
- Lifestyle & Diet Education
- Mindfulness & Stress-Reduction
- Nutritional Analysis, Stool, Allergy, Saliva Hormone Testing, etc.
Education & Certifications
- Doctorate of Pharmacy | University of Texas at Austin
- IFMCP Functional Medicine Certification | Institute of Functional Medicine
- Medication Therapy Management (MTM) | American Pharmacists Association
- Certified Herbal Information Specialist | American Botanical Council
- Kundalini Yoga 200-hr Certification
- Completed Courses:
- Mastering Brain Chemistry™
- MethylGenetic Nutrition Certification Course™
- Mastering Thyroid™
- Mastering Functional Blood Chemistry™
- Functional Endocrinology: Connecting New Research With Practical Applications™
- The Development And Aging Of The Brain™
- The Gluten, Leaky Gut, Autoimmune Connection™
- The Neuroendocrine Immunology Of Environmental Triggers™
- Perimenopause And Andropause-The Neuroendocrine Immunology™
- Heavy Metal Detoxification & Cannabinoid Medicine | Dr. Chris Shade
- Connecting with the Vagal Nerve Network
- Integrative Medicine for Mental Health | IMMH
- Thought Leaders Consortium | Personal Lifestyle Medicine Institute
- Institute of Functional Medicine Annual Conference | IFM
- Genetic Analysis 2015
- Lifestyle Medicine 2016
- Stress, Pain & Addiction 2019
- BioIdentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Symposium | American Academy of Anti Aging Medicine
About Dr. Morcom
Dr. Morcom has always been interested in natural medicine, but it is only after a serious personal injury that it became his life’s path and passion. He may have been propelled initially by his desire to fully heal, but he now uses all the knowledge and skill he has acquired to serve his community. Dr. David has a strong dedication to patient care and is truly driven by the fulfillment he receives from helping others.
As a doctoral graduate of the UT College of Pharmacy in Austin, Dr. Morcom has an in-depth understanding of both the biochemistry of the body and how drugs, herbs, toxins and other substances affect physiology for better and for worse. Despite his specialization in pharmacotherapy, Dr. Morcom rarely advocates the use of drugs and prefers more natural approaches to disease state management.
“Drugs are great for acute conditions when you need quick and potent action. The majority of diseases that individuals struggle against in modern society, however, are chronic in nature with underlying inflammation, toxicity, nutrient deficiencies & other imbalances in the core systems of the body at their root.”
Dr. David has an immense array of medicinal tools to draw from, yet he learned very early on that even natural medicine could be used in a symptomatic manner. For example, St. John’s Wort is a great herb for mild-to-moderate depression, but if the depression is due to underlying toxicity, candida overgrowth, nutritional deficiencies, hypothyroidism, or simply anemia, no amount of St. John’s Wort is going to help long-term until these underlying root issues are addressed. Dr. Morcom is proficient at assessing what particular factors are relevant for each patient, and then designing a program to prioritize what systems need to be addressed first for maximum benefit & optimal healing.
“Chronic disease is where functional medicine truly shines. It works in unison with the body’s innate intelligence to restore homeostasis and health. Success isn’t determined by the prescription of a single drug or miracle cure, but instead, the synergism invoked by an array of medicinal herbs, nutrients, and changes in lifestyle, diet & awareness all done in the proper therapeutic order.”
Dr. Morcom has trained for many years with the Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM) and has completed all courses for certification. Dr. David has also earned the title of Certified Herbal Information Specialist through his PharmD. Internship at the American Botanical Council. In addition, he is certified in Medication Therapy Management, Immunizations & more through the American Pharmacist Association (APhA). Dr. Morcom is passionate about furthering his education and keeping up on the newest advances in medicine by attending conferences and seminars around the country as often as he can. As a patient of Dr. Morcom’s, you can always be assured that he will be using the most up-to-date evidence-based medicine to get to the root of what ails you.