Dr. David Morcom, PharmD. is a practitioner of Functional Medicine fusing traditional herbalism with advanced diagnostic testing, his background in modern pharmacology and the newest research in herbs, nutrition, genetics, mindfulness & natural medicine. With an integrative and holistic approach, he aims to understand you as a whole and your condition at its root. Learn more about Dr. Morcom here.
Areas of Expertise & Interest:
- SIBO/Candida/Leaky Gut/Digestive Dysfunction
- Autoimmunity/Food Allergies/Hashimoto’s
- Brain Health, Mood, Addiction & Sleep
- Adrenal Fatigue & Thyroid Dysfunction
- Genetic Testing, MTHFR & beyond
- Hormone Balancing
- Supplement Regimen Customization
- Lifestyle & Diet Education
- Mindfulness & Stress-Reduction
- Nutritional Analysis, Stool, Allergy, Saliva Hormone Testing, etc.
Functional Medicine Consultation:
Functional Medicine is a patient-centered approach which aims to address the root of disease by optimizing bodily processes such as digestion, detoxification, immune function, energy regulation, and hormonal balance. Chronic disease is where functional medicine truly shines. It works in unison with the body’s innate intelligence to restore homeostasis and health. Success isn’t determined by the prescription of a single drug or miracle cure, but instead, the synergism invoked by an array of medicinal herbs, nutrients, and changes in diet, lifestyle, and awareness. Currently, Dr. Morcom is on the last leg of his certification in Functional Medicine by the prestigious Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM).
Chronic disease is often a result of rampant inflammation, not being able to take in or produce enough of certain beneficial nutrients or the inability to clear a multitude of toxins from within and the world around us. With genetic testing, we are able to analyze the DNA of a person to establish their theoretical potential and disposition towards disease in these specific areas and more. Nutritional Testing on the other hand gives us a snapshot of an individual’s biochemistry in that moment measuring nutrient levels, inflammation, dysbiosis, mitochondrial energy production, heavy metal exposure, toxicity & more. Combined, this wonderful synergy of NutriGenetic Analysis can give us deep insight into why someone is sick and allows us to individualize nutritional treatment to get them better.
To get started, please visit 23 and Me to get your DNA sequenced (“Ancestry” only is $99) and send the raw data to our admin staff to get started. Patients only need to fill out the first “Medical History” & “Metabolic Assessment Form” to set an appointment.
Learn More About Genetic Analysis
Brain Health, Mood, & Sleep:
Dr. Morcom has a keen interest in mental health and enjoys working with patients – both young and old – to optimize their mood and cognition using functional medicine, mindfulness and more. Imbalances in mood are simply a message from your body telling you that something is wrong. Often, they are due to nutritional deficiencies, digestive dysfunction, toxicity, anemia, hypothyroidism, and blood sugar imbalances to just name a few. Our work together is to find out what combination of these variables are relevant to you and prioritize what needs to be addressed in a specific order based off your unique biochemistry & needs. Blood work, genetics & nutritional analysis are key to uncovering the root physiological imbalances leading to symptoms. Thankfully, most of these contributing factors are actually ones that we can change through diet, lifestyle, & targeted nutritional supplementation. This allows patients to improve and heal without the use of medications that often just make things worse.
With hormone imbalances becoming more common and the dangers of traditional hormone therapies being exposed, low-dose BHRT offers a middle path to optimal health and wellness. Through saliva/urine/blood testing, Dr. Morcom is able to determine where the imbalance lies and recommend the appropriate hormones and natural medicine supplements to bring this critical system back into balance. Furthermore, a functional medicine approach will be used to correct the underlying pathophysiology causing the hormonal imbalance in the first place. Dr. Morcom can work with your existing physician or can refer you to a physician he trusts and works closely with.
Initial Consult (90 min): $350
Follow-Up (60 min): $195
Follow-Up (30 min): $125
Any complex case requiring a full Functional Medicine workup will need a 1.5-hour initial consult. NutriGenetic Analysis, and referrals within the clinic for particular services can be scheduled for a 1-hour appointment. Exceptions considered on an individual basis.
Bring the Following to your Initial Appointment:
- All current medications & supplements you are taking (unless recorded in the Patient Portal)
- Most current & relevant lab work if available
- A positive attitude & commitment to get healthy!
During the Initial Appointment, I will:
- Review your patient intake forms, current medications/supplements & labs
- Ask you relevant questions about your condition & to elucidate the various etiologies of your condition
- Explain back to you the timeline of how you got sick — if you understand how you got here, you are better able to navigate back to health!
- Make lifestyle/diet recommendations for your condition
- Design a customized supplement regimen to address your condition
- Recommend advanced diagnostics testing to help provide an empirical baseline of your current status & to help understand more complex conditions